Cast Care Instructions
- Elevate the cast above chest level to lessen swelling for the first 24-48 hrs.
- Apply ice pack for pain and swelling.
- Do not wet cast.
- Maintain cast clean and dry.
- Do not place any objects into the cast.
- Do not put pressure or weight on the cast for 24 hrs. until it hardens.
- Follow doctors’ advice regarding your cast treatment.
What to watch for
- Tingling or numbness in fingers or toes that does not resolve.
- Discoloration of toes or fingers to blue or white that does not resolve.
Check circulation by pressing the nails to see if color returns immediately.
- Severe constant pain that does not respond to ice, elevation and your prescribed medications.
- Excessive swelling or inability to move fingers or toes.
- Excessive muscle cramping, tightness, or pressure under the cast.
If any of the above signs occur- call your doctor or go to the nearest emergency room immediately.